Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Response to "Earthlings"

Wow. At first I was thinking I would just write a review that went something like this: For anyone who still eats meat or wears animal products I recommend it and for anyone who's a vegetarian, you can skip it.

I've decided to say a bit more.

The film is extremely graphic in its depiction of cruelty to animals. Blood and guts are constantly being spilled. At least I think so, because I had my eyes closed for most of the film.

As I mulled it over while we were discussing the film afterwards, I thought, "I believe that there's a reason for everything and that we are always in the perfect place at all times." Which means there's a reason I saw the film. I, who haven't harmed an animal for any reason in almost 7 years.

I thought about it some more...

What could possibly be the reason that I was seeing this film? My logic may be a bit of a stretch now, but I encourage you to go with me on this one... I believe we are all one interconnected consciousness. And while I may be treating animals with kindness, others are not.

But who am I and who are they, really? All one. Meaning I am part of a consciousness still involved in the cruel treatment of animals. While I am thrilled that by my personal choices I have decreased the amount of violence on this planet, is there more I can do?

Well, since I think people who are eating and wearing animals will not be attracted to this film, is there a way we can use this collective connection to raise the level of consciousness? I believe there is.

So here's the experiment: taking into consideration the fact that scientists believe pain is a greater movitator for change than pleasure, take a look at the film, experience some of the pain and then do this visualization: picture anyone you know who still treats animals with cruelty feeling this pain, truly and deeply becoming conscious of the effects of their actions and then changing their ways.

What we focus on expands and I envision a conscious, loving and harmonious planet. And that vision is created by our actions today. Namaste.

Many thanks to the beautiful Denise Mari of Organic Avenue for organizing and showing this film!

Today's wisdom: "As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields." - Leo Tolstoy

No comments: