Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Blessed Thanksgiving and "Thanksliving"

Ah, what a beautiful weekend it was!

As I mentioned last Wednesday, my Aunt and Uncle from Texas were in town and I am so happy that I was able to spend time with them. In addition to many fond childhood memories, I enjoy what has grown into an adult relationship filled with love and respect. So I was thrilled to go with them to the theatre and then to be with them on Thanksgiving Day, along with my Mom and my Aunt's brother and mother.

Now, I chose not to join them for their dinner outing. I spent a good portion of the day meditating and focusing my thoughts on Gratitude and then I met up with them once they had finished their meal. I think all around we were all more comfortable that way. While I have sat with family and friends who still choose to eat animals on occasion, those occasions have become less frequent and almost nonexistant as my circle of raw vegan friends continues to expand. I feel true sorrow for any animal sacrificed and pity for the person who is, like I was only 7 years ago, unconscious about the impact of that decision, and even though I can now witness without passing judgement, a little pain sometimes shows on my face.

Some people think of acting as pretend or lying. I've always believed that great acting is the revelation of truth. And my feelings are always clearly expressed - especially on my face!

After my Aunt repeated, "Isn't it disgusting to you?" several times while we were making plans over the phone, I decided not to offer to join them for dinner and instead suggested I come afterwards. Perhaps the last time we were together she noticed the slight squint of my eyes and the wrinkle in my nose when I looked at a carcass and felt a wave of sadness for the creature.

I am grateful for being able to laugh, share stories and to Celebrate with my family. It was a wonderful day.

And speaking of wonderful days, yesterday was "Thanksliving." A most wonderful day that I have looked forward to for the past three years.

A beautiful friend, Karen Ranzi, hosts a party every year to celebrate life. I'm not sure how long ago it began, or what was the original impetus, but every year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, a large group of amazing Raw Fooders are invited to bring their fruits and veggies and smiling faces to New Jersey and the welcoming home of the Ranzi's who, most notably, 'adopt' a turkey (by donating to a shelter) as a way of tipping the scales in favor of living rather than the unconscious slaughter of so many animals. And then before sharing a meal together, we share the things that we are grateful for - an extraordinary experience.

The power of gratitude is becoming widely publicized and I would like to add that I felt the vibrational energy in that room palpably rise as we all focused our thoughts on what we were grateful for. It was strong!

Of course the mood was set, as it has been for years, with a heartfelt and inspiring talk by Dr. Doug Graham. Over the last 7 years, I have been fortunate to hear Dr. Graham speak numerous times and have been blessed to get to know him on a personal level as well and I can say that he is one of the most truly kind, compassionate, dedicated and generous souls on this planet. And although the value of every Thanksliving lecture is enormous, Dr. Graham donates his time without receiving any fee. What an amazing gift to us all!

Each year I get to see some faces I haven't seen in a while, reconnect with old friends, make new ones, and enjoy the company of conscious people. It's invigorating!

It was especially invigorating this year, because it was such a beautiful day that a few of us began by playing a bit of football outside! Ah, to run, to feel the sun and to breathe fresh air!!

Now, I played a lot of sports very well as a kid - baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, raquetball, handball, even a little tennis and the requisite track & field events of the schools, and other P.E. class games, plus the less vigorous ping pong, darts and billiards, just to name a few, and even excelled in some. But I must admit, when I played football (and 'touch' football was as far as I went) my passes often wobbled and rarely spiraled. (Maybe one spiral out of ten throws...) Oh, they would often reach my intended target - but it wasn't pretty, and it took great effort on my part. So much so, that the thought of continuing any further in that sport never entered my head.

If you don't already know, Dr. Graham has been the coach to many world class athletes. He happened to catch a pass that I threw and came over to me and in less than 30 seconds showed me a technique for throwing (passed on to him by a pro-footballer), that I put to use immediately and threw all spirals from then on - with less effort and greater accuracy! I am still in awe. As if reading my mind he mentioned that this is something we're not taught in school. Oh boy! I think back on the torn rotator cuff that could have been spared, not to mention the repeated blows to my self confidence with each wobbly throw I released...

Hmmm.... I wonder when the next NFL draft is...

For more info about Dr. Graham, check out his website.

He'll also be appearing at 1 more event in New Jersey and 2 events in Manhattan:
This Thursday in Ramsey, NJ - contact khranzi@aol.com for details.

Next Monday 12/4 at Stephen Parker's Raw Health and Happiness Society meeting at the Hartley House - 413 W 46th Street, between 9th/10th Aves.

Next Thursday, 12/7 at Bonobos Restaurant, 18 E 23rd Street (at Madison Ave.)

Each event begins at 7pm. See you there!

Today's wisdom: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the secret that he taught you about throwing a spiral? I have a game tomorrow and would appreciate a prompt reply.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Von B.

Robert said...

I'm not sure if I can describe it in words, it's more of a visual.

The two keys, though, were: 1. Pivoting the hips and 2. Keeping both hands on the ball until it's released. The first took the effort out of the shoulder and the second guided the throw into a spiral.

(Disclaimer: I don't give football-playing advice, please consult with a qualified football coach before making any changes to your football-playing regimen)