Monday, November 20, 2006

Biographical Plays - Potentially Powerful

On Saturday night I went to an Off-Broadway play called "Duse's Fever." And although I am curious to learn more about the actress the title refers to, I was basically unmoved.

First of all, based on the publicity photo, I assumed this was going to be a one-woman show about the famous Italian actress Eleanora Duse. I was correct. However, the actress of this show portrayed Duse's maid. And, while I got over that bit of deception quickly, in spite of a few touching moments, overall it was pretty flat.

I applaud the writer/performer for her intention to throw some light on the life of this Italian acting icon. And in that, she succeeded. However, I have the feeling that perhaps she didn't go deep enough.

After all, would "Amadeus" have been as moving if we only saw and heard Salieri and not Mozart? And after seeing "What's Love Got To Do With It?" I remember thinking that Angela Bassett's portrayal of Tina Turner was so powerful that when the real Tina came on in the end, I was disappointed. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say jarred. Jarred out of that imagined reality I had bought into.

But I'm not debating the reasons we go to the theater, whether or not a fictional portrayal can show more truth than reality... or the impact of an audience's willing suspension of disbelief. My point is simply that these actors took on a well-known personae. They didn't back away. They took a risk. And the result was awesome.

Today's wisdom: Shoot for the stars, you'll at least reach the ceiling.

No comments: