Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Some Reviews

Well, I promised to say a few words about some of the shows I've seen recently - I'll try to keep it brief. Love, Loss and What I Wore - a Nora/Delia Ephron project was interesting, though I don't believe I was in the target demographic. The style was similar to A.R. Gurney's Love Letters, (am I dating myself?) where the show is more like a (minimally) staged reading with the actors seated and reading from scripts. The revolving cast, like the cast of Love Letters, changed several times throughout the run. And many famous actors took the stage. The night I saw it, towards the end of the run, Melissa Joan Hart was probably the biggest name and Lucy DeVito, the daughter of Danny DeVito and Rhea Pearlman (who was previously in the cast, but not when I saw it) gave a very strong performance.

"Beach Lane" is a new sit-com starring Matthew Broderick, which hopefully you will be seeing on NBC sometime soon. I went to the taping of the Pilot episode and it was pretty funny. Kristen Johnston co-stars and the cast is rounded out by talented newcomers. If you've never been to a TV show taping, it's a lot of fun. You get to see the scenes several times and in-between takes there's a warm-up comedian keeping the audience laughing.

This gentleman, Phil, is actually the same guy I saw several years ago when I went to a taping of "Hope and Faith" - the Kelly Ripa vehicle. He's hilarious! And he does a bit where he speaks any language the audience can name as well as making crank calls to audience members family - priceless!

We had a glimpse of Lorne Michaels as he briefly surveyed the proceedings as well as a ring-side view of Sarah Jessica Parker, who was on hand the entire time giving support to her husband.

All in all, a fun evening and again, I do hope this one makes it. Perhaps one day, then, I'll have a chance to do a guest spot. :)

Last Friday, I went back to New World Stages to see "White's Lies" starring Betty Buckley, Peter Scolari, Christy Carlson Romano, and Tuc Watkins. 4 actors with plenty of stage experience who are mostly famous for their TV roles. And though I really did enjoy it, I think the pacing was a bit off. I think, in part, these actors were cast because the director and writer were probably looking for a fast-paced, sitcom feel. But even though the story was funny, it never achieved that roller-coaster speed it likely would thrive on.

That said, it was great to see Betty Buckley, whose recordings I've enjoyed, (particularly "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" - awesome), on stage. She has quite a formidable stage presence! And Peter Scolari, who's TV work I've enjoyed very much, though he seemed to be suffering from some vocal trouble, was still able to land some very funny lines. And Christy Carlson Romano was an absolute dynamo of energy. A joy to watch! This one probably has a limited run, but it's worth a look if you can get to it. For Romano's performance as well as the "Newhart" reference and the remaining 2 members of the cast, 1 male, 1 female, who play, respectively, all other men and all other women. A cute bit. (Though not nearly as striking or hilarious as in The 39 Steps.)

On Saturday, I found myself at one of the theaters on the new Theater Row (42nd St.) between 9th/10th Aves. for a production of The Master Builder at The Clurman Theater. For an off-off b'way play, not bad. The 3 women were by far stronger than the 3 men, but the story was told. Although I'd read the play, I'd never seen it performed, although I have a vague memory of seeing one scene in a class many moons ago. The actress who played the wife was really interesting to watch - with her facial expressions and body language speaking as loudly and clearly as her text. Plus the actress who played the young girl was very creative in her physical movement.

This company also has a production of a play called "The Glass House" starring Harris Yulin which I will try to see before it closes. However...

Next up: Oliver Parker starring John Larroquette (Night Court) on Thursday and Family Week starring Kathleen Chalfant on Saturday.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: