Sunday, December 03, 2006

An 80s Horror Flick gets a Musical Makeover

Last night at 11pm I was transported back to the 1980s thanks to the new Off-Broadway show, "Evil Dead - The Musical." Based on the horror flick directed by Sam Raimi (recently of Spider-Man fame), this musical is a scream! And by that I mean howls of laughter.

Right from the beginning, after the pre-show 'Hits of the 80s' music subsides, the cast takes the stage riding a cardboard cut-out car and proceeds to run over a cute little cardboard bunny which then shows up behind the car smooshed with tire tracks.

I had a vague sense of familiarity as I watched the cast of actors mug and wink to the audience (and then spew stage blood all over them). I was trying to figure out if I'd seen the show before somehow. I think maybe the style just reminded me of the improv or sketch comedy groups at a theme-park, where the audience is in a great mood and very willing to participate.

Overall, the music was somewhat forgetable, however, the voices were wonderful and the lyrics appropriately silly. And in the one big company dance number (a wanna-be 'Time Warp') the dancers' energy is so palpable that I was completely engrossed.

Today's wisdom: "In the depths of winter, I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

No comments: