Thursday, August 16, 2007

Gorgeous Heirloom Tomatoes and Magically appearing Organic Produce

First, I just want to say that last week there was an amazing crop of Organic Heirloom tomatoes last week. I had a yellow tomato that was actually spicy and bursting with flavor! Yum!!

I picked them up at Whole Foods Market in Columbus Circle. While I don't frequent this particular store, I know that this is one of the items they get in the summer when few others do.

Also, they had a nice crop of Calmyrna figs. And speaking of figs, It's Fig Season! And both the black missions and the green figs are doing extremely well right now - Go get some!!! You'll be glad you did.

As I was walking through Rockefeller Plaza yesterday, I found myself transported to a beautiful market - surrounded by fresh fruit! Apparently this is one of the many outdoor markets that NYC boasts throughout the summer. The even better news is that there was an organic farm represented (All the way from near Albany! and it was the first time they'd come to NYC - what great timing!).

I picked up a gigantic bag of tender leafy greens for a buck. When I offered to pay more, they wouldn't accept, so I just bought 3 big red tomatoes and a pint of sungold cherry tomatoes, to help support them more (and they looked good, too).

The reds were excellent, though no comparison to the heirlooms... And the greens and the cherry tomatoes rocked! So fresh and tasty!! I'm so glad I wondered that way.

Today's wisdom: A beacon of light shines brightest on the darkest of days

No comments: